A large, bulbous head allows wand vibes to stimulate a great surface area. Pictured here, O-WAND.
What’s Not So Great about Old School Wand Vibrators?
While the Hitachi was a miracle sent from the heavens in its day, that technology is now 50 years old. A few years back it was rebranded as the Magic Wand Original and given a few minor updates. Compared to technology on the market in 2017, however, it still has quite a few disadvantages:
- Cord: While the power cord was what gave wands their intense power back in the day, cordless versions now perform better and are more convenient.
- Noise: Traditional wands aren’t very discreet sound-wise. That power came at a cost!
- Cleaning: The head of the Magic Wand Original is made of a porous material that is impossible to completely disinfect.
- Ergonomics: Old style wands are heavy and difficult to hold for some people.
- Limited Use: According to the manufacturer's instructions, the Magic Wand Original shouldn’t be used for more than 25 consecutive minutes or the motor may burn out.
- Not Waterproof: Taking a traditional wand into the tub or giving it a thorough deep clean isn’t an option.
- Limited Speed Variation: Many old-school wands have only two speeds - high and higher.
- Not Travel Friendly: Old wands like the Magic Wand Original only operate on AC current, which isn’t ideal for international travelers.
Now, don't get me wrong. I'm grateful for those old-school wand vibrators for changing the world. However, newer products are bringing new technology and features - and all the power you could ever need.
What New Technology Have Wand Style Vibrators Adopted?
All sex toys are not created equal. Some are amazing while others are lackluster. It’s important to do your research and select a reputable design and brand. When it comes to updated wand vibrators, there are quite a few quality models currently on the market. Doxy Massager, LELO Smart Wand, and Magic Wand Rechargeable are all very popular models that have put a spin on that old Hitachi model.
One of the newest shining stars in the world of wands is the O-WAND. Sexy and effective, it earned two prestigious Red Dot Design Awards in 2017. Cordless and ergonomically designed, its waterproof body is made from 100% easy-to-clean non-porous silicone. It’s also cordless, travel friendly, has a wide range of settings and a removable textured head. The best feature is, set on maximum speed it vibrates at 12,000 RPMs, which is double that of many traditional wands! (Power queens rejoice!)
What type of person and what kind of sex are wands best for?
People who need high power and deep vibration tend to find satisfaction in wand toys. But you don’t have to be a power queen, king, or anywhere in between to enjoy wands. Although they can deliver jackhammer intensity, many newer models offer incremental power settings to please even the most sensitive users. Wands are suitable for anyone, no matter their gender. They can also be used on any type of genital or erogenous zone. Penile stimulation and external prostate massage are common uses.
Even better, wand vibrators are versatile enough for partnered sex or solo use. The new smaller, simple-to-hold designs are easy to place between two bodies during sex play. And, of course, in a pinch, wands are perfect for their original intended purpose. Yes, even the new high tech versions are magic for aching shoulders, stiff necks and sore backs. Power, intensity, pleasure all around.