Definition - What does Genderqueer mean?
Genderqueer is a term used to refer to people who typically don't identify as either male or female, but feel that they fit somewhere outside this perceived gender binary. Genderqueer may be used to describe:
- People who feel they are both a man and a woman
- People who feel they are neither a man nor a woman
- People who move between the two genders
- People who are third-gendered or "other" gender
- People who feel their gender and sexual orientation overlap or blur
Kinkly explains Genderqueer
While the term transgender has often been used as a catch-all term for people whose gender expression and identity fall outside the norm, it is often associated with binary sexual identity (male and female). Genderqueer, on the other hand, challenges the idea that there are only two genders and two sexes.