Guys! It’s almost October! Over here at Kinkly, that doesn’t just mean cozy sweaters, and hot drinks, and battening down the hatches for winter (we're up in Canada, ya'll!). At Kinkly, the beginning of fall also gives us the warm and fuzzies because it's when we launch our Sex Blogging Superheroes Contest.
Now, if you aren’t familiar with our contest, let us start out by saying that we named this contest back in 2013 because we really admire the work sex bloggers do when it comes to spreading sex-positivity and promoting sex education. Blogging about sex is audacious work, and work we felt was often under-appreciated. So, we launched our contest in an effort to change that, or at least to spread a little internet love to hard-working sex bloggers everywhere. Through our contest, as well as our Sex Blogger Directory and our Sex Blogger of the Month Series, our aim is – and has always been – to create a resource to help connect people with all the awesome sex-related content on the web.
And, guys, it works. We connect thousands of people to sex blogs across the web every month. And we’re damned proud of it. If you’ve ever read a good sex blog – whether to learn something, to connect with someone over a shared experience, or just to get off – you know how powerful that experience can be. (And if you haven’t read a good sex blog lately, um, hello?, right here.) The fact that we get to play matchmaker for all these people is a huge honor – it’s what turns us on and motivates us to keep this contest going. (Because, let's be real, it's also a lot of work!)
And another thing that keeps us going – our sponsors! This year’s sponsor is Loveology University, an online love coach training school that provides cutting-edge relationship training programs. Whether you’re looking to work in the field of sexual health or just deepen your understanding of relationships and human sexuality, LU provides a range of online courses and programs to help. We’re all about sex education, so we’re thrilled to have their support. (They’ll also be offering prizes for our top bloggers!)
Loveology University's sponsorship also means we get to work with the company's founder, respected clinical sexologist and AASECT Certified Sex Counselor Dr. Ava Cadell. We are star-struck - and super-stoked to have her help with picking our winners. Check out the video below to hear a few words from her on that.
So, who’s YOUR Sex Blogging Superhero?
We say it every year, but here we go again: Sex bloggers are our superheroes. And, not only do we want to highlight the best ones out there, we want to celebrate the ones that have made an impact on you, our readers. We want to discover the bloggers that have made you laugh – or cry. The ones that have made you think – or made you come. The ones that have informed your sex lives – and your sex toy purchases. We’re on the hunt for the best bloggers of 2017, and we need your help to find them.
Have a favorite sex blogger you want to nominate? Here's how it works:
- Find your favorite blogger in our Sex Blogger Directory. (If you'd like to submit your own blog, you can do so here.)
- Starting October 2nd, you can visit your favorite bloggers' profiles and click the Vote For Me button on their page. Voting for the same blogger more than once won't count, but feel free to vote for multiple blogs.
- We'll read through every blog with at least five votes and choose our top 100 favorites based on the criteria below. (Yes, we do read every blog that meets the minimum criteria. And, yes, that job is as awesome as it sounds.)
- Only blogs that receive at least five votes by October 9th, 2017, will be counted but we will continue to gather votes until October 30th.
What happens when I nominate a blog?
Good question. In past years, we’ve received a lot of questions about how we judged the blogs in our contest. In response to these questions – and feedback from bloggers themselves – we’ve firmed up our formula a bit. So, if you’re curious about why a particular blog didn’t win the prize, it's probably because they fell short on one of the key areas listed below.
Once we've pulled together a list of all the blogs that have received at least five votes by October 9th, we hunker down and start reading and scoring our list of blogs. Here's what we're looking for:
- Writing Quality – We’re looking for bloggers with substance and something to say. We’re also looking for bloggers who can say it in a way that’s interesting and engaging. "Good" writing is hard to define, but we know it when we see it. And we don't just mean "good" in a literary way. Some bloggers have beautiful words, some are great a being informative. We consider whether a blogger does what they do well.
- Frequency of Posts – There’s nothing better than a new blog from your favorite blogger. Bloggers who post at least weekly will receive the highest scores here, with scores dropping for bloggers who post bi-weekly, monthly, bi-monthly, etc.
- Sex Positive – We're looking for sites that exude openness and acceptance, and embrace consent, safety and sexual diversity. If your site is mean, discriminatory, sexist or body-negative, its score will take a hit.
- Design – How does your blog look overall? Does it have a fresh, appealing design? Is it easy to navigate? Each blog will be judged for its look, feel and navigability.
- Social Media – Does the site have active social media accounts? This score isn't based on how many followers a blog has, but whether it maintains a social presence. Top scores will go to blogs with at least two active social profiles.
- Overall Impressions – This is a combined score based on our staff and sponsor judge’s overall impressions of the blog.
- Votes – Blogs need at least five votes to be considered for our top 100, but more votes work to boost a blog's total score. Why votes? Because we don’t want to be the only ones deciding who wins. We want feedback from bloggers' fans and readers as well!
OK, I voted. Now what?
At the end of October, we'll announce the Top 100 Sex Blogging Superheroes of 2017. As in previous years, we'll also break out several categories and crown a winner in each one. (The more prizes the better!) Each category winner will receive awesome prizes from our sponsor:
- Reader's Choice and Overall Winner: A Love Coach scholarship worth $2,500, a feature on Sexpert.com and $500 cash from Kinkly!
- Top New Blog - A Love Coach scholarship worth $2,500 and a feature on Sexpert.com!
- Top Sex Toy Review Blog - A Master Sexpert scholarship worth $1,250!
- Top Erotica Blog - A Relationship Expert scholarship worth $500!
- Top Blog for/by Men - Choice of 3 products from Ava Cadell!